Friday 28 June 2013

Craft Bag Tutorial

Hi everyone,

We have been blessed to have my Mum & Dad visiting with us over this last week and a half.  My Mum has energetically been helping me in the garden and Dad helps as and where he can too.

This week I have a free pattern and tutorial for you all.

This is a lovely craft bag - perfect for taking with you to the park, commuting, to the doctors waiting room etc etc.  I find it is a perfect size for crochet projects on the go.

The original pattern is based on a bag my Granny used to use for her craft.

Anyway, enough waffling on - 
As the pattern template covers an A3 sheet of paper, you will need to download 2 pdf documents and tape/glue them together to have the complete template.  Remember to print at 100%
Click Here for Sheet 1
Click Here for Sheet 2
12mm (1/2") seams allowed in the pattern
Once you have joined the template, trace a copy.  Fold your lining fabric  and main fabric double pin the pattern on and cut out.
Sew Main fabric bag, right sides together around the side and bottom edge (edge seam if desired).  Repeat for Lining. clip curves .
 Fold down about 12mm (1/2") or slightly more of the top of the strap of the lining to wrong side and press.

Turn the Lining the right way out and slip it inside the (still wrong way out) main bag.



Match side seams.  Pin and sew bag lining and main together around the curved strap edges - making sure to leave the top edge (where you folded down the lining) open.


 Make snips around the curve, towards your seam but not cutting the seam at all - this ensures the curve of the bag will sit nicely.  Turn the bag the right way out through one of the open ends at the top of the strap.

 Twist the handle, so that you can pin the main fabric bag at the top of the strap, right sides together - make sure you haven't twisted the bag strap one too many times (Like I did with one of mine on the first go!!)
 Machine sew the top of the main fabric straps right sides together, taking care to not catch the lining fabric in your seam (it can help to pin lining further back out the way).
 Open the Main Fabric seam out flat and tuck each side into the bag strap.  It should look something like this.  Hand-sew the two lining edges together.
 To give the bag a nice finished look, top-stitch around each side opening.



I hope you enjoy making this bag as much as I did.  I was able to make one for my lovely Mother while she was here and I have a spare to give away to one of my beautiful sisters too.

Happy Days!

Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment