Thursday 23 May 2013

Crochet Cushion

Hi everyone,

I have been enjoying doing some crocheting lately - I've been enjoying learning a couple of new techniques.  This project I found in a lovely book called "Cute and Easy Crochet" by Nicki Trench.  It is  a circle cushion cover in rainbow colours.  This is such a wonderful book with fantastic photos and instructions - At last my circles sit flat!!! 

The cover of course, calls for a circular cushion insert, as I didn't have one on hand, and didn't want to rush around seeing if I could buy one, decided to make a cushion insert instead.  To do this, trace out a circle (or other shape if you are making a different design) on paper as a pattern making it slightly larger (about 1.5cm [3/4"] larger than cushion cover- cut out.
   Choose some fabric for your insert cover (I used plain calico) and using your paper pattern, cut out the  circles.  sew them right sides together around the edge but MAKE SURE TO Leave a gap for turning and putting the wadding in (so don't sew all the way around the circle).  Keep the seam allowance small (about 8 - 10mm [3/8"]) and use a small stitch size.  clip all curves (allows the shaping to sit nicely).
 Turn the insert cover the right way out, and fill with wadding through the opening you left (I used wadding from a normal pillow for this).  When the cushion is full and firm enough for your liking, hand-sew the opening closed.  Crochet the two circles right sides together around the edge, placing your insert inside the cover before the circle is completely closed. Finish crocheting around the edge, and thread in any ends.  Woo Hoo all done!!

My daughter was thrilled with her new rainbow cushion!!

Enjoy :-)
Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment